Fiesta automatic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a new member of this forum. I am hoping that someone can help!
Today I bought a Fiesta Courier 1.3 petrol automatic - converted for wheelchair use. (I am not a wheelchair user.)
I bought it "as seen". The dipstick is missing in the transmission side, and when I drove away from a complete halt I had a kangarooing - like the automatic drive was slipping then gripping. This only happened when starting from a complete stop. With the dipstick missing I took a chance on adding some transmission fluid. Now the problem is that when I come to a complete stop the car takes ages to respond to the accellerator. Is it possible that I have made the steel belt slippery with too much oil and the belt is slipping?
Have you any ideas on a fix?
Louise.

Sponsored Links
you need to find a new dipstick first either from a scrap yard or even ford themselves,the oil quantity and quality is critical on an automatic transmission for correct operation,personally i wouldnt use the car until you have confirmed the above

Agree with the above post. Also driving around with no dipstick has allowed the ATF to become contaminated, this needs draining and refilling with the correct grade and quantity.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
Was also pondering the wisdom of the AA who towed the car, in neutral, for about ten miles. Could this have done any damage?
Louise.

Thanks.
Was also pondering the wisdom of the AA who towed the car, in neutral, for about ten miles. Could this have done any damage?
Louise.

No, no damage at that milage as long it wasn't at speed, any wheels lifted?

Agree with the above post. Also driving around with no dipstick has allowed the ATF to become contaminated, this needs draining and refilling with the correct grade and quantity.

why should it be contaminated?
with what?
moisture?

not having a go at you :D

Moistutre/dust particles will do the trick. I've had numerous autos in my 30+ yrs of driving and i know as well as the next chap that ATF is the life blood of an auto and as most box's work on oil pressure its good to change it at the req intervals ;)
Libby Lou Lou, i have a funny feelin' i know you from another site :)

Thanks for the advice. I'll change the transmission fluid anyway. If I measure how much comes out then I will know how full it was beforehand!
The AA towed me on a steel pole - all 4 wheels on the road.
Louise.

:cry:
Okay, let's assume that I need anothjer gear box!
Does anyone out there have any idea whether my 1997 1.3 engine will have the same/different box from the earlier model, and if the other Zetec engines will have a different/same box?
The ones I have come across sometimes have the starter motor on top rather than underneath. The Ford garage thinks that all the mk4 engines had the same gear box, but are not 100% about this.
Louise.

i think an auto box for that will be as rare as rocking horse ****,id look at putting a manual gearbox back in it if you can find someone willing to do it,probably cost more than the car though

I have tried a bit of a Montecarlo or bust - adding more fluid to the box. There is no effect. The revs spin away and then might occasionally take up with a bit of a grab. Most often it just spins away with little or no forward action.
Louise.

Sponsored Links
Back