Fiesta back window heater and wiper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 2000 W reg Ford Fiesta 1.3 Finesse and the back window heater doesn't work and hasn't done in a long while. The button still lights up when pressed, and it used to work occasionally but has now stopped completely. The rear wiper is behaving in the same way, and may occasionally work if I'm lucky. I was going to replace the fuse, is there anything else I should be looking at? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell from info on the net they don't share a fuse or relay but they do share an earth point.

I couldn't find info as to where the earthing point is but it is somewhere at the back of the car. Check this isn't corroded or loose. You might have to trace some wires from the wiper motor to find it.

OK thanks for the reply, what would an earthing point look like and would it be inside or outside the car?

Do Fiesta's of this age have that dreadful peg and wiping plate arrangement that passes power into the tailgate?
I've had loads of issues with severed wiring (and washer tubing which is easy to spot) over the years.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Do Fiesta's of this age have that dreadful peg and wiping plate arrangement that passes power into the tailgate?
I've had loads of issues with severed wiring (and washer tubing which is easy to spot) over the years.

The '99 certainly did John, I would imagine the face lifted version would too.

I had the same issue with mine.

If so, to the OP, open tailgate, locate three brassy plates set in black plastic on lower boot lip, note corresponding metal pins on tailgate by looking up, with ignition off, take some wire wool & clean all mating surfaces.

Job done.

And a little Vaseline on the clean surfaces to stop corrosion in the future.

Hi now it is that time of year again and the wife really needs the rear window heater to work especially to clear the condensation inside the car for reversing off the drive. I tried what was recommended last year i.e. cleaning up the surfaces of the three pegs and corresponding plates in the boot but that hasn't worked. What else could it be?

I've unscrewed the top set of three 'prongs' and pulled them out and they all looked connected and ok, the bottom bit with the flat connectors is a different matter as I can't see under it and it doesn't seem to want to budge (can't unscrew it to gain access)

At this stage, use a multimeter set to more than 12v DC to see if voltage is getting to the contact pads.
At the same time, its worth checking the resistance of the rear screen heater across its terminals - with the meter set to the low ohms range.

I would go with one or more wires being broken between the body and tailgate.

Peter

Hi,

I have this problem on my w reg fiesta. I have checked the little metal plates (in the boot as suggested above) & one of them is completely bent & broken so the pin does not meet it :rolleyes: To replace these, how do I get them out? Does the plastic surround just prise away from the body of the car?

Chloe.x :D

Where is the switch for the rear window wiper in a 1999 fiesta zetec?

Sponsored Links
Back