Fiesta finesse 1.3 Maintenance tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I bought a fiesta this week. its a 1.3 finesse 2000 done 120k miles.

Seem to be a pretty good runner so far besides a problem with idle speed. (after a longish journey 1 hours when breaking and clutch depressed the engine cuts out.) Ive searched a bit for this and seems can be blocked ISCV blocked air filters.. etc etc.. if anyone could give any other bits I should check would be appreciated.

I was also wanting to get a bit of advice in general on actual maintenance of the car. basically anything that would be possible for 1-2 with good knowledge of general construction n diy stuff. Im basically asking for information on what I can safely check and tune to make sure it runs as well as possible for a 11 year old well run car.

Its my first car servicing myself and im 19 also I have a bit of a soft spot for this car n its already grown on me so i really wanna get it in the best condition i possibly can.

between me and my dad we have a good knowledge of this sort of thing.. (we're sorting the house between us currently and I have a lot of knowledge of computer building etc so good with the hands on stuff.)

So to sum up anythin possible for me to fix / tune. Anythin to check for the engine cut out and anythin i should really leave to an expert

Thanks for any information you can give.
Owen

Sponsored Links
Hi Owen,
I think the best advice I can give you is to acquire a Haynes Workshop Manual for your model and year.

All the info. you are seeking will be in there.

;)

Initially, have all of the filters changed (oil, air, fuel, cabin if it has one)
then all of the lubricants (engine, transmission, PAS) then the coolant should be renewed.
Fit new spark plugs, and check / reset the valve clearances, together with alternator / PAS drive belts. I presume this engine is the pushrod one, with a short timing chain?
After that, its a careful assessment of the vehicle brakes, steering and suspension, checking everything and replacing as necessary as you go.
The idle problem is most likely to be the ICV.
John :)

Cheers for that john :)

I've bought myself a haynes manual today so will get to work on it all on ma days off

Owen.

Sponsored Links
Just remembered.....if the steering goes stiff and notchy its the u/j on the bottom of the steering column.
Enjoyed many a handstand in the footwell doing those :p
Also, the cork rocker gaskets hose oil.
John :)

Back