Fill material for retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All,

Somewhat of a random question so don't shoot me for asking!

I am building a retaining wall to form a driveway next to my house (its about 6m from the house). The height being retained is about 1m in existing made up ground forming a bank to the field next door which is about 1m lower than my garden. As the bank varies, in some places the retained height is as small as 40cm.

I am completely over-engineering the wall using existing retaining wall designs that I have for a higher wall. My foundation is around 95cm wide 30cm deep (maybe up to 40cm as the extra m3 delivery isn't much), and the lower part of the wall is currently planned to be block on flat lengthways with another block laid flat sideways to this (so around 67.5cm wide).

My query is, instead of building up in block, as its essentially the mass I am trying to achieve, if I build up a 'formwork' from block to the perimeter of my planned wall (built on the foundation), can I then just infill this with concrete, as it will still achieve the required mass.

If the above is acceptable, can I take it a stage further, and in addition to concrete fill, can I place in the concrete my offcuts, concrete posts and other concrete demo (clean) that I had from an adjacent project (demolishing concrete steps). It seems I would still achieve the mass for the retaining wall, but reduce my need for blocks and disposal of the demolished items.

I appreciate its somewhat unorthodox, and a bit of a bodge, but if I do a decent mix and ensure I'm avoiding any airgaps would this be reasonably acceptable?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back