Filler for wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sanded my parquet flooring and spent a day filling the gaps. I have used a 'natural' coloured ronseal woodfiller and mixed it with the 80 grit sand from the floor. I mixed as much sand in as I could before the filler became too dry to use.

The filler looks a lot lighter than the floor, and when I used a damp sponge to clean dust from the floor, the wood turned a dark colour but the filler remained pale.

When I finish the floor (with either hard wax oil or clear varnish) will the filler darken or will it remain the pale colour. I am worried it will look bad if the filler doesn't darkem with the floor.

Please can someone advise me?

Sponsored Links
afraid your stuck with what you have
i use a lot off ronseal filler it will not change
if its realy bad you can tone it down by carefuly touching up with coloured varnish/paint but thats pretty much it
if anything make it a touch darker for when the wood catches up

Oh no! Thats a shame as I have filled out all the small gaps between the parquet with it! Took me hours. I thought I was doing the right thing!

Is there any finish that won't darken the wood? Before I started the floor was a dark wood but has sanded back to almost an oak colour. Is there any finish that would keep it this colour but just give it a nice sheen and finish? When the floor is wet it does go back to the original dark colour though.

Sponsored Links
If you wet the floor, whatever shade you see will be more or less the shade you will have after varnishing or oiling (with clear).

You should have saved your sanding dust and mixed it with a clear resin to use as a filler giving an exact match to the original.

No easy way to do it but you could sand it again and a lot of the filler will come out but you'll have to rake the rest out and yes it will take ages (again!!)

I'm afraid the filler won't change colour..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back