staines on oiled oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently put down an engineered oak floor, 6mm thick top layer. It has gone well with 1 minor problem. On the last few boards that could not be secret nailed, I used screws that were countersunk into a pre drilled hole. I then filled and sanded the hole with a wood filler that roughly matched the oak colouring.

All looked ok, but when I oiled the floor with Treatex, it has brought out different colours between the floor and the filler. It has also exposed areas where the sanding of the filler was not a thorough as I thought, and has smudge marks around the hole.

Any ideas of how to correct this? Is the only way to do some serious sanding and then re oil the floor?

Sponsored Links
Is the only way to do some serious sanding and then re oil the floor?

Whatever you do the filler and wood will absorb the oil in different quantities and finished colour will therefore differ.

Thanks, I realise that, I am not expecting a perfect match. The problem is that during the filling process some of the filler is around the screw hole. Before it was oiled you couldn't really see this, but now the oil has gone down it has highlighted any residue around the screw hole that was not cleared properly. It is "in the grain" of the board around the hole.AAny way of countering this? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back