Please help me rescue my floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted a few times about this floor, but desperately need help as I think I have ruined it. It is original 60's parquet in my hallway.

I have sanded it back with a hired sander and removed all the old finish and got the floor really smooth. I was following some instructions on a website which said to mix the dust from the 80 grit sanding with some natural coloured woodfiller. I did just that and spent a whole day filling every single crack in the floor to get a completely smooth finish.

I used ronseal natural wood filler and mixed as much of the 80 grit sand in as I could before the filler became almost too dry to work with.

I have tested an area with the clear fnish I plan to use and the filler does not darken with the wood. So, I am going to end up with a dark wood floor covered in pale filler all over!! I am so gutted. I have spent hours working on the floor and I have ruined an original feature. :(

Is there any way I can rescue the floor? I don't think removing all the filler is an option. Please advise me. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You really need WYL for advice, but I'm guess, a resand, and a reseal / stain would do the trick. However best wait for our resident flooring pro.

Cheers EddieM ;)

We normally use Lecol7500 wood filler with 80-grit sand-dust from the second sanding (so clean sand dust). When finishing the floor the filled parts do show a slight colour difference (different structure than a smooth wood surface) but 9 times out of 10 this fades and the whole floor becomes "one".

No experience with the Ronseal product ourselves, but have heard it does not "fade" as well as the Lecol would. You could wait a while to see how it looks in two/three weeks time? Nature does take its time in situations like this.
Or you have to remove all the filling work and start all over - which I gather is not your preferred solution.

Important note though on the Lecol7500: after 01.07.2010 Lecol will no longer produce or ship this product due to continues changes in VOC regulations.

Thanks WYL.

I realised afterwards that I had used the wrong filler, and that I should've used the stuff you mentioned.

Anyway, I have taken the biggest bits of filler out and replaced with dark ronseal filler. Not ideal, but I am sure it will look better. I am going to sand those bits and finish the floor today, so we shall see. We are having carpet up the stairs and landing, so if all else fails...........we'll order more carpet!

Thanks for the advice :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back