Old wooden floor gaps between boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently sanded the old wooden floor in my lounge and living room. The floorboards being quite old have moved about and now many gaps of varying sizes are between the boards.

I bought some filler (mix with sawdust / sand) which I attempted to use to fill the gaps, but to no avail as it just slipped through the holes. :cry:

I don't really want to lift all the boards up and shift them closer together, so before I go out and buy some woodfiller, just thought i'd find out if wood filler is appropriate and /or any others suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In the end, the only and best solutions is to re-install the boards tighter. Everything else will fall through eventually.

I'd live with it.

Mine have gaps from 1mm to 10mm wide. Don't cause us no bother.

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to use thin infill strips of wood. It may not be the cheapest but it will be the most professional. If you are absolutely adamant that you will not remove the boards, plane the edges and refit, this is the best method. The strips should be of a simular base colour to your boards and fit SNUGLY between the gaps. They need to be machine planed the entire length to form a wedge with the uppermost face being the size of the gap(s). Do not hammer the strips in with force, instead gently ease them in with some PVA. Remember, this IS NOT an ideal solution but it is the next best thing.

My freind had the same problem, he done this, it now looks realy good (cost a fortune though because he paid to have the wood machined for him).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back