Filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I'm not the best chippy in the world, in-fact pretty useless with a saw. However i have just built myself a pine unit for my computer work area. I am pretty happy with the results apart from some of the joints, most of the joints, which don't look good due to gaps. What type of filler can i use on these bearing in mind that the work is to remain in natural wood finish, or possibly a coat of polish.
Or is there a trick of the trade for filling up the errors.

Sponsored Links
Most carpenters would use a mix of fine saw dust from the stock they are using, mixed with wood glue, to make their own filler. This way it will give a good match. OK if you are keeping a natural finish, but doesn't always stain well.

Depends on how big the gaps are. If they are'nt too bad then something like Brummer stopper which is water based and easy to use. If the gaps are really significant then I don't think you can beat a 2 pack filler. B&Q sell a Ronseal one. For pine you'll need the neutral one.

I keep reading about mixing up wooddust and glue. In my experience this nearly always looks naff especially if you're using a light coloured wood. I think because its the easiest way possble of filling gaps, it always comes to peoples minds - the most effective method it ain't!

i have to disagree. providing you dont use too much glue and you put the effort in the finish afterwards, then its virtually invisible

Sponsored Links
matz said:
I keep reading about mixing up wooddust and glue. In my experience this nearly always looks naff especially if you're using a light coloured wood. I think because its the easiest way possble of filling gaps, it always comes to peoples minds - the most effective method it ain't!

Sorry, like Thermo I don't agree with you.

See this result of Oak floor (overlay = 6mm solid oak planks glued on concrete and after second sanding filled with woodfiller - sanddust and filler)

wooden%20flooring5.jpg

and one of our herringbones with same method.

wooden%20flooring4.jpg

On both floors we used Natural HardWaxOil

What I sometimes do is to rub a bit of glue into the gap and then sand over the area with an orbital sander. This usually gives an excellent result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back