Filling a cold fiill appliance with hot water, possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a quick search of the forums, could find an answer but....

Just been door stepped and sold a new dual fuel package (regional rate), now whilst the electricity was very slightly more expensive, the gas was notably cheaper (and our bill for gas is higher than electricity), family of 5 and all that.

Now both the dishwasher and washing machine are cold fill, and it's clear to me that here it's easier to make an appliance cold fill then heat the water to the required temperature, rather than having a more complex system where the warm and cold fills are mixed to get to the required temp. As we have young kids (who get messy) and we do most of our own cooking both the dishwasher and washing machine are run at 50/60 degree programmes.

So I wondered: why not fill with hot on the cold fill (noting what I said about the gas and elec. rates with the new supplier)? I can't think why this would damage the machines as the thermostat would just not heat the water, but obviously if we were to run cooler programmes the water would be hotter than the setting on the appliance, but as said, we rarely do this. The temp setting on the hot water tank (not a combi boiler) is 70 degrees.

Any thoughts?

Steve :confused:

Sponsored Links
Rinse cycle for delicates at 60? You have no temperature control and hot laundry to remove.

Sounds like a plan if your mother / in-law knits you jumpers, the kids can wear them...

Plus, you'd be drawing hot water from your cylinder through the length of pipe all the way to your washing machine and dishwasher. However much is in the pipes will be entering the appliance cold.

With reasonably modern machines using much less water than older ones, it's likely that the appliance will be full of cool or cold water before the hot has even reached it - so you'll still be using electricity to heat the water, and you'll be wasting gas heated water as you'll have a pipe full of hot water which will just go cold where it is.

Sponsored Links
The arguments I read here (http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/wordpress/can-you-connect-the-hot-water-supply-to-the-cold-valve-on-cold-fill-washing-machines/), made sense for washing machines certainly. Arguments for and against dishwashers were a little less conclusive, but I don't think I'll bother in either case.

As for jumpers, I only have to look at a jumper and it shrinks!

The arguments I read here (http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/wordpress/can-you-connect-the-hot-water-supply-to-the-cold-valve-on-cold-fill-washing-machines/), made sense for washing machines certainly. Arguments for and against dishwashers were a little less conclusive, but I don't think I'll bother in either case.

As for jumpers, I only have to look at a jumper and it shrinks!

my jumpers shrink when i drink beer and eat pies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back