Filling an inspection pit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've demolished our old garage which has an inspection pit.
The bottom is below the water line and in wet weather a pool of water forms.
I want to fill it with the blocks from the garage and then pour cement to the top six inches so it's level with the floor.

I have three questions:
1) Do I need to drill holes through the base of the inspection pit to prevent water pooling or can I just fill and forget?
2) What's the consequences of filling without drainage?
3) Can I lay the blocks down whole filling the gaps in with rabble or is it best to compact the blocks to reduce the gaps?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If it was me, I’d just lay the blocks flat, fill any gaps with crushed stuff but have 12” of concrete on top. I wouldn’t worry about drainage as the water will only rise as high as the water table anyway.

Although, if your doing all that you may as well knock through the base to leave a drainage hole, it won't hurt to do it but if it does fill and not drain then that may well cause issues later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back