Filling around a plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry another silly question...

I'm planning to fill around a plug socket where some plaster has come away and to do this I need to remove the socket. Once finished filling, I plan to leave the socket off for a day as it dries.

How do I leave the wires to ensure its safe as I have kids. If I connect a connection block will this be ok?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just get some longer screws and leave the socket screwed on but 5mm or so off the filler.

So long as the socket screws are tight enough so little fingers cannot get behind the gap you should be fine.

If you're not happy with that, you can do connector blocks inside a chocbox or similar as a temporary solution.

Don't let them in that room till you have finished. (Otherwise they may try to put their socket plugs into the plug socket which is missing.)

Sponsored Links
If I have underestimated the amount that needs to be filled then it may be unsuitable -

but it is good for filling around a back box.

I have sanded gypsum based fillers, and I have sanded car body fillers.

I know which better lends itself to sanding.

Oh, I see. I thought you just meant mixing too much.

Yes I admit you wouldn't use it for large areas.

I thought the OP was as written - "I'm planning to fill around a plug socket where some plaster has come away".

Anyway, if the kids can't be prevented from poking the electrics then there are going to be handprints in the filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back