Filling cracks in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tackled these a number of times over the years and broadly used the following approaches, after some research:
1. paper plasterboard tape bedded in with easifill and then levelled off with further layers of easifill
2. gouged the crack with a screwdriver and then filled and levelled with easifill

I am finding that #2 consistently fails overtime as the crack opens up. I have had much more success with #1 but often have an issue with the tape bubbling.
To add, I have applied diluted PVA as a base coat in both of these scenarios.

Can I please have your advice on this. Here is the latest crack I need to tackle before I paint this bedroom.

1713352658392.png

Sponsored Links
Have you tried sinking a few screws up into the beams to prevent movement of the plasterboard?
I am planning to but I also have another crack that runs in the opposite direction to the joist. Trying to establish a good approach for these.

Sponsored Links
Rake out cracks. Make holes along the cracks. Insert low expanding foam. Cut off excess when dry, fill sand, repeat...paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back