filling dings in a papered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do decorating for friends and family so not a pro in any way shape or form.

I hate wallpaper, incl lining paper - won't go near the stuff usually, but i'm about to start decorating a room that's lining papered without my usual of stripping it all off first.

My question is - how to fill any dings/knocks/holes etc in the wall which have taken off the paper. Can I just fill and smooth as per usual, or will i need to paper over the top to stop it showing through?

Sponsored Links
You should get away with using fine surface filler and a light sand, then emulsion over. I'm with you, I hate papered walls.

Give the rips and tears a coat of paint first then sand them....this will help reduced 'furring' then fill touch up and re paint the whole wall.

Dont attempt to finish the wall without touching up over the filler first....it will leave marks.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies - I'd strip off the paper but it's a 300 year old cottage and I've been vetoed in case the walls come with it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back