Filling gap in block paved drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Long time lurker, but finally registered to post and contribute as I'm always on here checking stuff out.

So, I have an inexplicable and annoying un-paved patch in my driveway, roughly half a square metre (essentially it's a patch of mud in front of the front door at the moment...)

It's bog standard block paving brindle surface, and I have bought enough new blocks to fill the gap. It also has edging all round the patch, so it doesn't need anything like that adding. My question is regarding laying it, and what to put under it really, as it's such a small job.

I have read various things about using a membrane first, then hardcore, then sand (not sure what type) and compacting between layers every 100mm or so. Finally finishing by brushing silver sand into the gaps. Because it's just a small patch I was intending to compact it by hand with a sledgehammer or something similar, and then tapping in the blocks with a rubber mallet.

Any advice on a). How deep I need to dig out first, and b). if the above recipe sounds like it should work?! I'm really only looking for the simplest and cheapest way to sort it!

Cheers all!

Sponsored Links
Question?

Any ideas what caused the depression to appear?

Is the muddy depression on the line of an underground drain?

No, it's not a depression, it's an actual unfilled gap in the brickwork. Not sure why it's been left, but on old pics of the house it's just got grass growing on it. I just want to fill in this area to remove the doorstep quagmire!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back