filling gaps after sanding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just completed sanding my pine parquet floor, i used mix and fill to fill any gaps after the second sanding,however after checking the final result i have noticed that my gap filling exploits were not as successfull as i had hoped.There are still gaps in the floor (only small) would it be possible to fill the gaps again and sand the floor with an orbital sander(all the hired gear had to go back)

The floor is pitch pine can anybody tell me what the best sealer or varnish would be for this type of wood, we want to keep the floor its natural colour but think as it is pine we might need something hard wearing to protect it .

any advice appreciated
cheers paul

Sponsored Links
I had my floors sanded and filled the gaps. But guess what there are gaps, as wood moves in the different seasons. It also moves when you walk on it!

I'm in the process of trying a clear silicon, to fill the gaps. Not saying do it, just saying thats what I'm doing!

Paul, the 'modern' fillers don't work as well as the old fashioned ones (which are banned now because of the VOC-regulations).
does it really bother you, or can you live with a 'natural' appearance of the block floor? eventually due to small movements (like Bazdaa says) some little gaps will appear anyway.
For al clear and hardwearing finish I would suggest HardWaxOil, very easy to apply, more forgiving then lacquer or varnish when small mistakes are made and not making the floor to shiny.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back