which floor sander?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my cottage is circa 1890 and in the two upstairs bedrooms I would like to sand the floors as the boards although probably pine seem very sound (my neighbour has done hers and they look very good). I want to hire a sander for the job but after looking at the hireshops on line it seems you need an upright sander and an edge sander. Is there a machine that does both therefore not incurring two daily rates? I also read on a previous post that the best way to fill the gaps is with the second sand - pva and varnish mix - wait to dry then sand again, could someone confirm this. Many thanks in advance :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Not the answer to your question, but I sanded the floors in a 1930's house once using an upright sander, and then painted a 4" chocolate-brown border around the edge of the room, and it looked pretty good, IMHO (very Art-Deco though, and maybe not suited to your house).

I also had an 1880's terrace once and painted the floorboard red in the back bedroom and green in the front. Got the idea from Lindisfarne Castle, and liked the way that turned out too...

No it's not really, but thanks anyway. It's always nice to hear new ideas. But I could still do with knowing the answer to my question! :eek:

michaela said:
my cottage is circa 1890 and in the two upstairs bedrooms I would like to sand the floors as the boards although probably pine seem very sound (my neighbour has done hers and they look very good). I want to hire a sander for the job but after looking at the hireshops on line it seems you need an upright sander and an edge sander. Is there a machine that does both therefore not incurring two daily rates? I also read on a previous post that the best way to fill the gaps is with the second sand - pva and varnish mix - wait to dry then sand again, could someone confirm this. Many thanks in advance :LOL:

not that i know off

because you have to finnish with the grain to get the best finnish
and the best tool for the job is the belt sander [rapid removal]

being a belt between two drums you cannot finnish the last few inches with the grain

thus the need for an edging sander

the filling with pva and second "dust" is as good a method as any
but like all methods may fail with expansion and contraction of the wood

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. I was speaking to someone today who says that it is possible to do the edges using a normal hand held electric sander therefore eliminating the need to hire an edge sander. The rooms are only about 10ft square do you think this is a good idea :D

sanding the edge with a normal sander is fine but that part will take three times longer with a normal sander
good luck :LOL: ;)

Thanks Big All, perhaps I'll stop being tight and hire the edge sander after all!!

michaela said:
Thanks Big All, perhaps I'll stop being tight and hire the edge sander after all!!

HSS hire shops do (or did) a special weekend rate of around £100 for and upright and an edging sander.... though you still can't quite get into sand the corners.....

painting around the edge of the skirting is a good idea - we painted a 1 inch strip round the edges of our sanded floors (black for the 'public' rooms and burgundy for the 'private' rooms) then varnished over the paint when varnishing the floor - looks good....

Hi Michaela, just one point to mention if you haven't done your floor yet. If you do hire the edge sander which is well worth it, (I've done one room with one and the other with my own sander which took ten times longer) be very careful when sanding near your radiator pipes. One quick pass with the edging sander around mine left a nice neat slice in one of them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back