Filling gaps between floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm going to be installing a new kitchen. When I've removed the existing one, I plan to belt sand the original floorboards (circa 1905). As the boards are exposed, dirt, debris, bits of food etc has over time got into the gaps between the boards. Once I've cleaned these gaps can anyone recommend a filler or solution to prevent these clogging up again. Also, what would be a good seal for the sanded floors?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Take up boards turn over and relay tight, they will then need little sanding as the underside should be clean.

Thanks Foxhole, would mean taking off the skirting boards too. Would the floorboard nails not have punched through the wood on the underside?

Was thinking about a dark wood filler, so it still looks like a 'natural' gap. Not sure how it would last over time. The pine fillers I've used in the past say they are 'stronger than the wood itself!

Sponsored Links
The usual way to do this (if it's really necessary), is by glueing pine slivers into the gaps prior to sanding.

I wouldn't take the boards up unless you're planning to insulate underneath. With the best will in the world they will end up considerably more "rustic" than they are now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back