Filling holes as well as you can

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been drilling out plasterboard plugs and filling on unplastered plasterboard. Is it best not to spread it too far from hole and keep it slightly proud? Been scraping some of filler around hole off before it dries. I can still see cardboard from pkasterboard through filler. Cant touch it but see the colour bleeding through. Any tips as filler is something i need to work on
20191008_130924.jpg
20191008_120924.jpg
20191008_122520.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure what you mean.

Those 'plugs' don't need drilling out.

You stick a pozi screwdriver into the middle of them and unscrew them out.

Before filling the hole, cut any tufts of 'paper' off with a sharp knife.

Form the filler into a cone shape on your filling knife, and push the cone into the hole, and spread the filler over the hole. Try not leave gaps, and try not to leave too much excess as this means more sanding.

Once dry, and sanded smooth, apply some watered down emulsion to the filler before the finishing coats of emulsion go on.

When faced with nylon plugs that don't have a collar, I try to punch them just below the surface prior to filling them.

Plugs with a collar that cannot be removed, I use a chisel/etc to remove the collar and then punch the remainder of the plug bellow the surface.

Strange as it may sound, it is very difficult to fill a hole in one hit without leaving the filler proud. Most fillers prefer to stick to themselves than the area you are filling. If you hate sanding, consider hitting the hole twice with filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back