filling in huge holes around electric plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, some advice would be greatly appreciated. I've had some electric sockets fitted in my kitchen but the electrician has made HUGE holes. Will it be ok to fill these in with multi purpose plaster? I need to prepare the wall for tiling. There are small holes in the electric backbox could damp or moisture seep in there? Sorry if this sounds silly. thanks..

Sponsored Links
you could do it with plaster, but it sets quite quickly which is a prob if you are a slow worker and have not finished first.

personally I like to use sand and cement (like bricklayers mortar) which is very cheap and easy to push into place, you can smooth it off just below decorating level, and do the next bit with smooth plaster or filler after it is hard. For a small job like this you can mix it in a paint tin or similar. Packed in tight, it make a strong and dependable fixing, but the backbox must have at least one screw into the wall to prevent it pulling out. this is a good way to do it but takes extra time, which will be why your electrician will not do it unless you had included it in the job spec and he likes getting his hands dirty.

You can use a small filling knife and your fingers.

It is essential to turn the power off and test for dead before you start.

If you know how to disconnect and reconnect a socket, it will be easier if you take the socket off to work.

If the socket is at all loose, verify that it is straight and level before packing the mortar in round the backbox. It will then hold the box in position as it hardens.

You get a stronger bond if you wet the hole in the wall with a plant mister or something before you start (otherwise it absorbs all the moisture which is required for the cement to harden). Again it is essential to turn off power and check for dead first.
You can clean mortar out of the backbox with a dry paintbrush before it sets. You can also smooth it off at any holes.

I would pva around the box , get some bonding or hardwall and mix a little bit of cement with it ,make it quite "Stiff" and pack it in around the box and don't worry too much what it looks like it will soon go off ,then you can shape it . Or you can use "One coat Plaster" and mix that up stiff and let that go off and level it off with a wet trowel or scraper, very easy to do, you will be surprised.. ;) Dont panic leave it proud and trim it off when it sets......Before you tile just spread a thin coat of tile adhesive over the area you have done then when you get to tile it just run your "Knotched trowel"with the adhesive on over it like the rest of the wall...Good Luck...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back