Repairs around plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had builders in (supposedly with an electrician, but we'll come to that) carrying out a bunch of works on my house, including replacing some plug sockets and light switches...

Some of the sockets are pretty old and so inevitably, there has been some damage to the wall as part of the swap. So I've been left with a lot of results looking like this:

IMG-20200210-WA0004.jpeg

In anticipation of an arguement coming up with my builders...

Am I being unreasonable in expecting them to fill in holes created as a result of replacing the socket covers? I feel I'm not, as I sort of assumed that a completed job was supposed to be 'safe' and that really shouldn't have to spelled out when asking for socket covers to be replaced.

If I am being unreasonable, how should I got about filling in these gaps?

As for the 'electrician' point - should electricians be familiar with the concept of plastic gaskets for metal sockets? I've had them whinging that they wouldn't usually fit them because 'they look crap'. The ones supplied with my sockets are larger than the actual sockets but I though it was fairly obvious you were supposed to trim off the excess.

Sponsored Links
The plaster should have been made good before the front plates were fitted.
Thats the way it should be done but what did you arrange with the builder.

The plaster was ok until the plates were removed during the replacement process. As I said, they were old, and so we didn't have a conversation about this particular factor.

Fortunately I've got home this evening and it looks like they've now made good on the job.

Sponsored Links
should electricians be familiar with the concept of plastic gaskets for metal sockets
Yes, and most probably are. Useless and ugly bits of transparent plastic, allegedly intended to prevent metal accessories tarnishing when in contact with damp plaster.
In reality they look terrible when installed and get worse from there, as they tend to go yellow after a few months / years.

The ones supplied with my sockets are larger than the actual sockets but I though it was fairly obvious you were supposed to trim off the excess.
They are not intended to be trimmed - doing so would totally negate their already futile purpose.

they wouldn't usually fit them because 'they look crap'
Exactly right.
I have never fitted them.
I have never had any electrical accessories tarnish either - and if things were that prone to tarnishing due to humidity, a small sliver of plastic wouldn't make any difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back