Filling in wall chasing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had my house re-wired. The electrician seemed fine and did a good job.

He chased out walls for plastic conduit, and at first filled them in with bonding. He only refilled the Kitchen, then left the rest to me, is this normal?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Was it a quoted job? Did it detail in the quote wether making good was included?

Was it a quoted job? Did it detail in the quote wether making good was included?

It just says for each room e,g, To install 2 twin 13 amp sockets, 1light plus switch. No chasing or filling.

I presume it's up to me then?

It's actually difficult for a householder to know exactly what to expect.

Cheers, Camerart.

where it says "no chasing or filling" this seems weird. did you chase for him/her or does it say, "no chase filling"?..or did you agree surface trunking?

Sponsored Links
Get the impression that it didn't actually say "no chasing and filling" on the quote, but it didn't mention it either.

Get the impression that it didn't actually say "no chasing and filling" on the quote, but it didn't mention it either.

Sorry, a bit ambiguous, and you are correct. "No chasing and filling" was not on the quote, it just didn't mention it.

He should really have brought the subject up about who was going to fill the chases.

Electricians are not really plasterers, so often only a rough bond coat is as much as you can expect.

Normally in a kitchen there are a lot of electrical accessories, so it's best to plaster chases before connecting up as things can very messy otherwise.

Presumably when it came to the rest of the house he was either bored stiff of plastering, or concerned about time, or ran out of plaster.

Ok, it looks like it's up to me to do it, no problem.

Thanks for all your replies,

Cheers, Camerart.

If the property is a full on refurb and a plasterer is part of the work, I'd have left the chases for him.

If the job was stand alone and no other trades or work planned I'd have bought a bag of bonding and back filled the chases. The back fill being done ready for a final top coat not ready for decorating.

Ready for decorating tends to be more effort, awaiting bond setting, clean off, sand and then a smooth top coat.

At say £25 per hour would you rather pay that to the electrician or DIY?

I have just had electrical work done, I made a point of saying to sparky, that I would make good, although he was prepared to, but of course I would have had to pay more. Very happy with sparky, a very neat job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back