Filling loop attached in airing cupboard but no water flow

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

I bled the radiators yesterday, they were quite bad and the boiler pressure went down to near zero. I am a total newbie but found the filling loop eventually in the airing cupboard and attached it I think to the correct pipes.

One pipe has a black tap that I turned 90 degrees, and the other one has no tap, it has a flat screw thing on it that doesn't look turn-able. Nothing is happening and I'm so frustrated now, I can't see what could be the problem and I feel sure I am missing something obvious.

I checked to see everything was tightly attached and that the filling hose is not blocked, by running water through it while it was detached.

The boiler is a glow worm 15hx, which is downstairs in the kitchen, and there is a little red tank in the airing cupboard and this big green one which the filling loop is next to.

I took some photos of the setup. I would be so grateful for some advice! Please can someone tell me what am I doing wrong?

airing cupboard.jpg filling loop attached.jpg filling loop end with no valve.jpg tap end filling loop.jpg

Sponsored Links
That bit with the screw is the double check valve no need to touch that it's designed to stop water from your heating system contaminating your fresh water supply

At the moment the black handle is in the open position i.e. water should be flowing out of it , you turn it 90 degrees so it's at right angles to the pipe to turn it off

If water is not flowing out of it right now with it being open then that means further back along the pipe is another isolation valve, gate valve or similar turned off, you are going to have to trace the 15mm copper pipe back to see if you can find it

Close off black handle.
Disconnect flexi hose from NRV (check valve).
Point hose into a container.
Slowly open black handle.
If you get water coming out of hose then the NRV is stuck.
If you don't get water then there is an issue upstream of the black handle.

Do as dilalio suggests above. If no water comes out of the hose ,the black handle on the valve may not be turning the shaft beneath it. The black handle may just pull up, and off ,the valve. They have a screw in the black handle to keep it in place ,that you remove first.
Once removed you will see a square shaped shaft end ,that you can use a spanner on ,to open the valve 1/4 turn.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your replies. After reading what you all said I was not confident enough to investigate further by myself, and it's quite awkward to reach behind to the valve. I called a plumber today and he found I had attached the filling loop correctly but the black handle was not actually opening the valve, it was just spinning uselessly. He removed it and used a tool to turn the valve. The pressure went up very slowly then and he bled the radiators again, so much air came out.
Later I got an error code on the boiler of an airlock somewhere, but after resetting all is well.
Many thanks again for helping me, so appreciated!

Pretty much as I said then . You will no doubt at some point ,need to add more pressure. What has the plumber done to the valve to enable you to do this ?
Has plumber fitted a new handle ,or new valve ?

Yes it was exactly like you said. He showed me how to turn the valve myself, which was fine after being loosened

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back