Problem repressurising boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler (ideal icos he15) supplies the hot water and central heating but there is no pressure gauge to show the water pressure.
I bled a lot of air recently from the radiators so thought I would need to re-pressurise it but can see no way of doing this as there is no filling loop.
The water tank is in the airing cupboard.

Do I need to turn a valve to re-pressurise?
Since there are no filling loop valves the only ones I can see on the pipes are these attached pics.

FYI :The first valve is by the side of the boiler, the second valve is above the boiler.
20210429_182539.jpg
20210429_182433.jpg

So confused.

Hope you can help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you sure it’s not an open vented system? They don’t need pressurising.

Your boiler can be installed to an open vented system or to a sealed system.
1. If installed to an open vented system there need be no pressure gauge, and the system water will be automatically refilled from a feed and expansion system if water is let out. You will have a small (4 gallon / 18 litre) tank with an inverted "J" shaped pipe over the top of it. Normally in the loft or at the same level as the cold water storage cistern.
2. If installed to a sealed system there will be an expansion vessel, normally painted red. This need not be next to the boiler, but could be elsewhere, often found in an airing cupboard. There should be a pressure gauge on or very near this vessel.
3. Your first picture is of a manual air vent. The second picture is of a drain off cock. Neither have anything to do with filling the system.

I would imagine if it was a pressurised system, the filling loop and pressure gauge would be very near to each other.

Sponsored Links
Can you take a picture of the tank in cupboard?
My guess is it’s the hot water cylinder & the CWST is in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back