Filling Loop Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, complete DIY novice here,

Had a new fan installed in my boiler - during the time the engineer explained that we needed a new pressure gauge as the old one had a leak - he told me how to fit it: Let some water out of the system, install the new one and top up through the filling loop.

All fine with installing the new gauge but noticed that with the new gauge, the pressure was reading as higher than before - wondered if it wasn't properly calibrated?

Anyway, a couple of radiators on our system are now not getting hot - I assume I need to fill up to increase the pressure - I hadn't done this because of the new higher reading.

When I look at the filling loop it looks different from all the others I've seen online - the right hand screw (flat head surrounded by a 'lip' - turns 90 degrees in order to align with the pipe - attached)- but the one on the left - flat head screw protruding from the valve, squirts excessively when I open it (attached photo but rotated!). I can't hear any water actually running through the loop.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The one on the left is a check valve and shouldn't be loosened, the one on the right is the ball valve that will be opened to let water into the CH circuit. As you've let water out the system to be able to replace the gauge, you'll have lost water in the radiators no doubt and they will need to be bled. Check the plumbing wiki on this site that will explain how this is done

The one on the left is a check valve and shouldn't be loosened, the one on the right is the ball valve that will be opened to let water into the CH circuit. As you've let water out the system to be able to replace the gauge, you'll have lost water in the radiators no doubt and they will need to be bled. Check the plumbing wiki on this site that will explain how this is done

I thought the same about bleeding the radiators, but when I started found the cold ones were topped up fine.

Do you think I should be able to top up by just opening the right hand ball valve??

Sponsored Links
By the looks of the pictures then the left one is definitely a check valve (one way valve) the screw holds the spring that keep the valve closed. The one on the right is the ball-o-fix (isolation valve) and turning it 90deg opens the valve. System should be filled to 1>1.5 bar
As to why your rads aren't heating up now then you need to trace back. I'd check the valves, either lockshield or normal/trv's. Make sure all are open and try bleeding through for a bit and see if it starts to get hot at the pipe inlet at the bottom of the rad.

Looks like 2 iso valves to me ( just different makes) get rid and put a proper filling loop on, get them for less than a tenner.

Happy to bow to the majority if the thought is that it's 2 iso valves.

Guess I'm just being kind and giving it the benefit of the doubt hoping that one is a check valve :)

Change the left iso for a DCV. Cheaper than a complete filling loop.

By the looks of the pictures then the left one is definitely a check valve (one way valve) the screw holds the spring that keep the valve closed. The one on the right is the ball-o-fix (isolation valve) and turning it 90deg opens the valve. System should be filled to 1>1.5 bar
As to why your rads aren't heating up now then you need to trace back. I'd check the valves, either lockshield or normal/trv's. Make sure all are open and try bleeding through for a bit and see if it starts to get hot at the pipe inlet at the bottom of the rad.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. When I took some water out of the system, I found a valve at the top of a towel rail that I used. However, I did fiddle around with 2 valves (hand twisted) at the base of the rail first thinking that was how to get water out - is it possible that I mucked up the balance of my system when I did that??

However, I did fiddle around with 2 valves (hand twisted) at the base of the rail first thinking that was how to get water out - is it possible that I mucked up the balance of my system when I did that??

Yes, you could have simon, but important to go through the sequence of setting up correctly.

1. Fill the system to correct pressure and bleed all the rads properly 1st, get all the air out.
2. Then look at balancing, again the wiki and tips sections on this forum will help with that.
3. If still no joy then you are probably looking at chasing airlocks. The help sections will again help you to find and eliminate them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back