Filling loop wear?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi boiler that I recently topped up via the filling loop, those auto air vents always seem to leak after a while I know, now the boiler pressure seems to keep creeping up of it's own accord ,about half a bar a week, it happened straight after I'd just topped it up , is it likely that the filling loop stop valve is worn and not able to totally shut off the flow or is something else likely to be worn, if so what is it likely to be, it a Worcester 240 BF combi boiler, thankyou if anybody can shed some light, soon be time for the heating to go on so need to get it sorted shortly :)

Sponsored Links
If the pressure is rising slowly even when the boiler is off it is quite likely the filling loop is passing, could also be a holed plate heat exchanger although this is less common.

Disconnect the filling loop and see if the pressure still continues to rise.

Can't disconnect the filling loop , it's one of those in-line "T" type filling loop connectors, it's been on there ever since the boiler was fitted without any problems until now, the only successful way I could try would be to turn the mains off but the pressure doesn't rise that quickly so that's not a practical solution either I'm afraid . look at this link/pic to see the type in use

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hea...+Type+Braided+Filling+Loop/d230/sd2708/p18465

Central heating hasn't been switched on yet this year, just normal (if you can call anything normal in my house) hot water needs ,washing machines etc.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can dis-connect your filling loop.

Just after the black Knob but before the flexible hose.

Andy

Is the bottom half also a stop valve then, because that fitting at the bottom seems to be a drain cap ,not another valve, if I turn the screw water comes out, but that could just be what is left in that short length of flexi pipe, I thought it was going to be another screw I could use to turn the filling loop off with but as water came out I tightened it up again, if that's not the case, I can remove that flexi pipe as you say, then the t valve will leak if thats the worn part ?

At one end is the black knob which adds more water to your system. At the other end is a non return valve which lets water in but not out.

Andy

Thank you, I'll whip it off in the morning and see what's what, if it is the black knob part that's worn I'll easily be able to find out now as it will leak once that flexi is removed, will be easy repair as well if it is at fault :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back