filling sanding painting around window reveals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having had the kitchen dining room replastered dot n dabbed skimmed etc yet again i have tedious problem of getting the painting correct around the window reveals etc.. plasterer rushed the job banged it out in 4 days etc leaving me having to fill in gaps around the reveals etc..which i have done using ready mixed wickes filler..then sanded it down & used low tack masking tape around the windows butt up to the plaster..i have then painted over the filler around the reveals no ;probs...but having taken off the masking tape and cleaned around the edges of the windows..i dont have a neat edge and some filler etc has crumbled and it is looking scuffed ...can you decoraters tell me where im going wrong or your tips & tricks for getting a neat edge paint job around windows :) cheers again

Sponsored Links
Get the plasterer back to do the job properly. DIY filling isn't the way to go. Was he an established Brit tradesman? Or a jobbing immigrant chancer?

Did you apply a thinned emulsion prior to filling, not doing so can cause the filler to crack, also if the areas to be filled are deep it's better to apply several thin coats as opposed to one thick one. Rake it out and if you haven't apply a thinned emulsion before you fill when you have sanded back apply it again over the filler. Could also be the filler I have never used the Wickes stuff so can't say if it is any good.

Dec

are you talking about the joint between the plaster and the window frame? if so you will need to use a flexible decorators caulk. polyfilla will not adhere to pvc. if you are not use to applying caulk then place masking tape around the window leaving 1 or two mm of window exposed and gun in the caulk. you then wet your finger and run it down the caulk smoothing it off. then remove tape and you should have a clean straight edge to cut into.

Sponsored Links
Get the plasterer back to do the job properly. DIY filling isn't the way to go. Was he an established Brit tradesman? Or a jobbing immigrant chancer?

That would be the better option if the op could get him back.

Dec

Just one more thing did you allow the skim to dry out before you applied any paint.

Dec

yeah hes a pillok tbh had a do with him on completion and gave him a snagging list before payment! but didnt notice the little gaps around the windows..tried to get him back doesnt answer phone etc..rather than filler what about mixing some skim myself and fill the gaps in that way ? leave to dry then paint with a thinned down coat followed by the topcoat day after etc ? cheers anyway for replies... :)

Easy-fill is the best for DIY use. Plaster is difficult if you don't know what you are doing. For best results, paint the area with your mist coat to stop the plaster from sucking out the moisture from your filler.

ok joe & co i will rake out all loose filla then apply a mist coat..once dry i will re-fill with a better quality filla..apply another mist coat on top once dry...and finally touch up with topcoat hopefully with more success this time..i just find it time consuming tedious etc masking around windows mixing different paints filling sanding all over again to get that neat edge around the windows..
is there anything wrong with filling with caulk then painting over this as a quicker alternative ? :) cheers again

depends on how deep and wide the joints to the widow are. caulk is recommended for gaps under around 6mm. a picture would be a benefit. always caulk between a window and plaster any way as filler will crack due to expansion/contraction rates of the different materials.

yeah cheers guys all replies..i going to caulk the edges then to have done with it and finish off the neat edge etc...my window frames are pvc white but the reveals are painted magnolia...should i use white acrylic caulk b & q i will prob purchase from js down road...and js touch up the caulk on the plaster magnolia paint ? surely not other way around..and yes the gaps are less than 6mm.
i have had a torrid time getting the low tack masking tape around the windows off! :( left it on 2 long i admit but getting the residue off as well has been horrendous,what is the best way of doing this in future plz cheers

George,

For future reference WD40 will easily remove the residue from the tape, do you think you could post a few pics for us to have a look for ourselves.

Dec

george07

try not to use b and q's own caulk as it tends to be a bit thin and watery. i would recommend either arbo or evostick as they are far superior. sure somebody else will recommend other decent quality caulks.

thedec

good tip with WD40, i've never tried this before as i don't tend to use a lot of tape.

cheers dec what a great tip that is with the wd40 :LOL: used it today cleaning the window & your correct it works a treat comes off so easy...wish i would have known that last sat when i had 2 big windows and french doors to clean around..i was rearing my hair out lol :) also js been to b & q to get some white acrylic caulk think it was johnsons although its in car i will have to go out and check this + was only £2 ? does this seem 2 cheap a product to use compared to the brands you mentioned ? if so i will go back and change sun morning as want to get this right 1st time and another tedious job ticked off my list :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back