filling stud cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
before platering over plaster boards, I'd like to fill the gap inside the wall (between kitcken and livingroom) to aid with sound insulation and generally make the walls a bit more solid for tiling.

As it's made with 2x3 studs theres a whole 3 inches of gap, -can I fill it with a mixture of leftovers? (plasterboard, bonding plaster, rubble, expanding foam, old bicycle tyres, and leftover sardine sandwiches)
?

whats the regs relating to fire protection in walls around a kitchen??

thanks
b/

Sponsored Links
mineral wool bats

you can get denser ones for soundproofing than are used for heat insulation. If you have already bult the wall I doubt you can use anything rigid. Fill all gaps tightly to prevent sound squeezing through. You can put some rodent bait in first if you like.

If you hadn't built it you could have used rigid foam and sized it to fit snugly between the studs and nogs.

I suppose you could also use the traditional mixture of clay mud, lime, horsehair and cowdung.

thanks, john, but i was thinking along the lines of recycling whats already on site and not spending a fortune on mineral wool.

on the one side, all the pb is screwed in so it's an easy matter of unscrewing the boards to stuff whatever i can stuff in.

has anyone mixed expanding foam with cement before?? :idea:
b.

so youd rather fill it with a load of crap that wont work rather thean spending a few quid on mineral wool insulation???

Sponsored Links
Mind if I pop round before you board it all back up? I've got a small pile of soil, some ivy cuttings and a box of old VHS tapes to get rid of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back