Find a Decent Plasterer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people

Usually on Electrical, but need a bit of advice.

I need a plasterer in my area (Stockport), but have no idea how to find one who is good. There is a website for sparks - http://www.competentperson.co.uk/, but I can't find anything similar for plasterers.

I have a room 2m x 3.5m x 2.4m that needs skimming. Prior to skimming, there are a few minor but long cracks in the walls that may need raking out and filling, plus a crack in the ceiling that may need a few screws and some scrim.

Just wondered if you could give me some tips, possibly even roughly how much I might pay (I know you can't be precise)?

Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
Hi people

Usually on Electrical, but need a bit of advice.

I need a plasterer in my area (Stockport), but have no idea how to find one who is good. There is a website for sparks - http://www.competentperson.co.uk/, but I can't find anything similar for plasterers.

Hi secure spark. I'm sure you've helped me out on the electrical forum before now, will try to repay the favour.
Surprised no-one's helped you out yet.

I have a room 2m x 3.5m x 2.4m that needs skimming. Prior to skimming, there are a few minor but long cracks in the walls that may need raking out and filling, plus a crack in the ceiling that may need a few screws and some scrim.

Just wondered if you could give me some tips, possibly even roughly how much I might pay (I know you can't be precise)?

Cheers guys!

I can't help you on price, as I'm only DIY, but done a good few rooms now.
In terms of advice - 2m X 3.5m at standard ceiling height doesn't sound too big, so I'm sure won't cost the earth to reskim.
I would say though really check out how sound your plaster currently is, if there are cracks, before paying out for a reskim.
For the walls - is it dry lined with plasterboard or full undercoat plaster?
If the latter - tap around to see if large areas sound hollow and if there are any hairline cracks etc. Just an over skim alone may not sort.
I've over skimmed walls in the past previously applying scrim to a lot of the hairline cracks and they've still managed to come back in places quite quickly. Some cracks may only look superficial, but when you get back to brick, there are actually big cracks there underneath e.g. at the corners of windows or near lintels above. Then they need some mesh putting in before refilling with Bonding etc.
Even if only parts of a wall are cut back and filled with fresh Bonding plaster before reskim of the whole wall, it can shore things up quite well for the rest of the existing plaster.

Ceilings - as you suggest - extra drywall screws to secure boards to joists and a reskim using scrim over the crack should sort.

That's brill Nick, cheers!

The undercoat dates from the house build; 1960, and is very sandy and friable.

Your avatar does ring a bell. Or should I say buzzer?

I'll get me coat...

Nicks just about covered it all if not to much prep your looking at somebody's day rate x 1 day your not looking at a fortune it's a small room

Sponsored Links
OP (securespark) wanted to know if there are any good plasterers in Stockport area, not telling him what is involved, we all face the same problem who is who and how well they can do a given job, usually a good tradesman is hard to find unless you have had an experience with one, so my view is that a room small to medium size, skimming would cost between about £400-600 including ceiling, you buy the material, but what a terrible job or good job the plasterer you find will do only become apparent after he has finished the job, I am afraid this is how it is for most people, so minor imperfections you can put right yourself, get majority of the work done by someone so calling himself a plasterer.

The fact is good plasterers or good tradesmen are all so busy, the only ones you are likely to get are cowboys, so pick the best cowboy!

OP (securespark) wanted to know if there are any good plasterers in Stockport area, not telling him what is involved, we all face the same problem who is who and how well they can do a given job, usually a good tradesman is hard to find unless you have had an experience with one, so my view is that a room small to medium size, skimming would cost between about £400-600 including ceiling, you buy the material, but what a terrible job or good job the plasterer you find will do only become apparent after he has finished the job, I am afraid this is how it is for most people, so minor imperfections you can put right yourself, get majority of the work done by someone so calling himself a plasterer.

The fact is good plasterers or good tradesmen are all so busy, the only ones you are likely to get are cowboys, so pick the best cowboy!
Well given the size of that room I could do that for 200 I also know some good spreads I could sub that out to for 150 if a spread quoted 600 down here he would never get any work that buys you a float and set where I live

I had a good guy do ours in Rochdale, not too far from you.

He charges £120/day for himself and £50/day for labourer. He offered to supply materials but didn't mind if I supplied my own. They turned up at 8am and worked pretty much solid untill they finished. I can pass his number on if you like?

Well thanks very much for all your replies.

I had a guy come the other day, £330 and it is an incredible job. Having worked in construction many years, I have never seen a more flawless finish!

He was there with an apprentice from 0800 - 1400.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back