Finding Out....

They will also frighten children to death, imagine being a 5 year old when suddenly this, (to you), HUGE giant looms over you with what he thinks is a smile but you think it is a look of evil. It could give you nightmares for a long time.
How are the grandchildren conny? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Good luck with this mate and the non smoking yourself

Both my parents smoked and it ended up killing them both, I am one of four siblings and none of us have ever smoked (I had the odd funny one when younger)

I have a son of almost 13 and would be gutted if he smoked/smokes but don't think would lecture him just try and advise him as best as I could.

I remember the day my other half caught step daughter smoking. She was 14 and we thought she was. My other half couldn't say much as she smokes 20 a day

dextrous";p="1324995 said:
My old man used to say that no matter how much you might warn a child about burning themselves if they put their hand in a fire, it would only have any real meaning when they had found out for themselves.

Suppose this is kind of what put me off smoking. As a child i remember by nanna spending the last 5 or 6 years of her life in constant pain after smoking for many many years and getting lung disease. She used to have heart-attacks 2 or 3 times a year and it got to the point where she hardly moved because the exertion of going shopping for example used to put so much strain on her heart and lungs it was often the catalyst for an attack. Its quite a strong message for a child when your nanna describes what its like to have a heart attack and says that, each time during the attacks she felt peaceful and was the only time for years the pain seemed to leave her - i guess she must have been really close to passing away. Give her her due, when she first found out she had the problem she gave up smoking and never had another one.

As a result, i've never had so much as a single drag of a fag and i never will. I don't want to be in that much pain and I certainly don't want my children and possibly my grandchildren to see me like that.

We have two teenage daughters of 19&17 yrs of age neither smoke,none of their friends in their social groups smoke either so obviously no peer pressure there.I told them in their early teens about how smoking destroyed the health of my old man and thats why he died way before they came along.Don't know if it had any bearing at all.On a lighter side to gassafeman give him a pipe full of diggers shag that will make him sick.

Sponsored Links
I went to the inquest today for a family friend. Lifelong smoker, in his fifties. 20mm tumour in one lung and 30mm in the other. Secondaries in other organs. He went downhill over about a year :(

My Dad was/is a hard man. Told us early in life to find our own homes if we wanted to smoke. In other words don't bring the habit home. It worked!

This will bore you lot to tears, but 23 and a half hours now. No fags.

JohnD: You may think its too late, but Im going to give it a go.

Conny: The boy is 14

Paul

Go for it m8, now you got to the state of mind to stop. wish I could convey how easy it is to stop altogether once you find the mind to. Over 2 yrs for me now and know i wont have another, I went 2 weeks and was faltering, stopped by sainsburys they were flogging patches half price,, tight git that i am I tht hmm might try them at that price then.. and actually think they helped me lots.
Think NHS stopsmoke dole out patches free?? :idea:

106 (nearly) hours.

If I make a full week, Im going to be sad and calculate a few things, but Ive already started as a self-motivicational (if thats a word) exercise.
A basic estimate is 250-300 fags have gone un-smoked. Based on the brand I smoke, I have saved £65 (ish).

I actually find it shocking to read and I wrote it! If I make a month, then Ill start on my son.

A bloomin herion addiction would appear to be cheaper.

Paul

if you are feeling motivated, it is worth asking at your GP's. they may run a smokers clinic and you get get drugs to help.

BTW my friend's widow stopped smoking, buyt has started again now :(

Im planning not to replace one addiction for another but thanks JohnD.

Whilst Im struggling, Id rather struggle on my own. Smoking groups I can sympethise (god my spelling is bad) with as there are situaltions where I would use a cigarette as a 'crutch'. So far so good though, and what more motivation could I need as I have 3 children who need their daddy (and one who has followed in my footsteps).

If I can stop permanentely with no help, surely thats an inspiration for 'the boy' to quit also?

Paul

drugs don't work.. no point in trying..
cousins husband has been on and off the gum and patches for going on 4 years now and still goes back to the fags..

cold turkey and something to distract you works well..
dad had a heart attack and was in hospital for 2 weeks... stopped him AND mom from smoking in one night...
dad couldn't smoke in hopsital and mom was there any hours that they let her..
she gave the house a top to bottom spring clean ( in the middle of august ) to keep her occupied when she wasn't at the hospital..

it was the support of each other that helped..
dad really had to, and it wasn't fair on him if mom carried on...

drugs don't work.. no point in trying..
cousins husband has been on and off the gum and patches for going on 4 years now and still goes back to the fags..
is he using them right?
I was led to believe you put the patch over your mouth and use the gum to plug the ends of the ciggies

coljack - very valid point.

Nicotine is addictive but not to the point where you need a substitute.

Whilst Im desperate for 'a fag', Im surprised how, when it effects my children I can stop. I am in no way a non-smoker but my very heavy smoking is now seen as acceptible by my children. Now to me, thats an awful thought. Im 34 years old - time is on my side. Im still healthy enough to run a mile in under 5 minutes, play football, keep my gym work up.

BUT..... 5 years down the line. What then?

Im ashamed its taken my boy to tell me he smokes to make me realise how crap smoking is, but here I am... a smoker who has stopped. A year, and Ill be a non-smoker, but for now.... a smoker who doesnt smoke.

Paul

lastmagicbean...

I smiled at that comment. Indeed... smoking stunts your growth.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Back