Finishing decking help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Have just finished building a fairly large deck which i am very happy with and am told by others is a great success :LOL:

I now would like to know how best to finish the deck in regards to cleaning/sealing etc. The wood used itself is all ready pressure treated and all cut ends/holes/screw holes have een coated in preservative.I want to keep the natural look of the wood i.e no staining/colouring. I have seen a new ronseal or cuprinol all in 1 sealer for example which is clear, water repellant, UV repellant etc.
How long to wait before treating? i was advised 1 month but would like to check.
Should i use a deck cleaner 1st? Would the above mentioned sealer stop the wood greying to any degree as this is my main worry..i really want to keep the new clear look as much as possible. Thanks in advance for any advise! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes thanks i know i have found a decking oil which is watr repellant and UV repellant to stop greying but when should i apply it and does it need to be cleaned 1st? Its bad weather at the moment so do i need to wait?

If it's dirty, clean it gently first - don't seal in the dirt in the first place. IIRC the can will say do it when the wood is dry.

Sponsored Links
Or simply leave it alone to age naturally ... I like the grey/silver look of aged softwood and it will still last the same length of time if you have taken the right precautions during build (which it seems you have).

Once you start with any form of treatment you need to continue with it and decks should be enjoyed as a patio not maintained as a fence IMO ;)

Horses for courses.

MW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back