Finishing touches to worktop....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive just about finished doing my worktops.

The next step is to trim the bare edges with the supplied "iron on" strips.
The strips are actually wider than the worktop thickness, so i just assume that you line it level with the top and cut the excess off the bottom??

Any tips anyone?? Surely lots of you have done this before. :)

Thanks for anyhelp whatsoever,

Paul

Sponsored Links
pretty much thats it the best thing to trim them with is a laminate trimmer but failing that a sharp stanley. Whatch your fingers though.
If they are not iron on which they may well be, then use contact adhesive to stick them on.

cheers for that. :)

take it you just iron it on with all the steam options on the iron turned off and just use the heat to bond it?

Thats about it, but if you have any curves to work round, the iron on can be a right bugger to get to stick ! May have to back it up with some contact adhesive.

Sponsored Links
You should use a piece of brown paper between the iron & the edging strip, stops burning & distributes the heat better.
You do not need to line up the top edge, Fix the edging use a knife to trim majority of waste material, then use fine sandpaper on a block (or a smooth file one direction only) & rub along the length but from the outside inwards(this will stop you cracking it)

chappers said:
pretty much thats it the best thing to trim them with is a laminate trimmer but failing that a sharp stanley. Whatch your fingers though.
If they are not iron on which they may well be, then use contact adhesive to stick them on.

ok, just found out they are not iron on!! :rolleyes:

can someone suggest some contact adhesive please? from somewhere like b&q

thanks guys.

It looks okay, also looks bloody expensive. Get some Evo-st@ck and get happy at the same time :LOL: :LOL:

Many years ago I learnt to trim edge strip with a wide chisel. You hold the flat side of the blade hard against the worktop surface and advance in a series of swinging movements such that the blade slides inwards as it cuts. This is a lot easier to demonstrate than describe but I can't even get still pictures onto this forum never mind videos!

PS: This method is ideal for the usual iron-on edge strip, whether plastic or real wood. Whether or not it will work on yours depends on its thickness. I suggest that if you can trim the stuff with a stanley knife a chisel will do a neater job.

PS: A good trick for getting iron-on stuff to stick in concave curves is to use a hot air gun with a low setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back