finishing wall tiles up to the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to tile some boxing in and the tiles will butt up to the floor. Is there some finishing strip I should use? I couyld always butt them up to the floor, but I'm not sure how good it would look, especially when the grouts in there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When I did this I just placed the tiles for the boxing in straight onto the floor tiles. They look fine. Unless you've cut them oddly, there won't be much room for grout anyway. If you're worried about waterproofing, clear silicone will seal any tiny gaps.

Hi all,

I need to tile some boxing in and the tiles will butt up to the floor. Is there some finishing strip I should use? I couyld always butt them up to the floor, but I'm not sure how good it would look, especially when the grouts in there.

Thanks
Hi,
tiles should be cut as even/tidy and close to the floor tile as poss i norm leave 1-2mm(for floor movement etc) and then grout with a waterproof grout and cover grout with a small ammount of silocone.
Hope this helps :D
p.s i hope the boxing in is not made from mdf as you should not tile if it is !

I agree it would look fine up to the floor tile.....except my floor has waterproof bathroom laminate on it!

Sorry should have mentioned that in the original post.

My boxing in IS made form MDF which I have sealed with tilers primer (think it's a type of PVA) Why shouldn't you tile onto it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I agree it would look fine up to the floor tile.....except my floor has waterproof bathroom laminate on it!

Sorry should have mentioned that in the original post.

My boxing in IS made form MDF which I have sealed with tilers primer (think it's a type of PVA) Why shouldn't you tile onto it?

Cheers
Hi,
pro tilers wont tile on MDF as just from humidity, can expand enough to pop the tiles off :eek: they also dont use PVA! needs to be a proper acrlic primer.The mdf also sucks in all of the water from the adhesive like a sponge when applied which also causes the tiles to pop off :eek:.If you have no option but to tile onto the mdf make sure it is prop primed and use a waterproof flexi adhesive and grout and seal the joint where it meets the floor with silocone and you could also run some small wooden beading around to make it look nice ;) oh and keep your fingers crossed lol should be ok if you do all of the above :D

Thanks for your reply,

The primer I used was proper tilers primer, it just looks similar to PVA I thought. Label says it's ok to use on wood. I thought MDF would be the best option as it's stable and wouldn't expand and contract with humidity changes? What do you use for boxing in? i COULD change it, would be a bit of a b@ll ache though!

I'll get some flexible adhesive and cross my fingers. Nice idea about the wood beading. Cheers

Hi,
I always use either plasterboard (cheaper) or aquapanel/tilebacker board (expensive) :D

My boxing in was made of ply. I didn't prepare it in any way and in two years there's been no cracking. My floor is concrete though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back