Finishing wood Worktops???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,Im just finishing a full renovation and Im in the process of fitting the kitchen, ideally Id have Granite or Corian worktops but my budget is blown! So with the reclaimed boards left over from replacing the floors I've made up two 3 meter worktops, biscuit jointed themtogether and glued and clamped them to moisture resistant MDF base,they look great but was wondering the best, toughest most durable finish ie Varnish or oil and if so what type? Ive used a hard waxoil on the floors and they look great but Im guessing that wont be the toughest finish for worktops, any ideas??
PS The boards are reclaimed Pine-not the hardest wearing I know but its what I had and looks great with the matching floor!

Sponsored Links
The rustins stuff is excellent but with timber comes movement so I would go for oil as you will need to protect the top from heat and sharps regardless of coating.

So given the potential movement do you think it would be best to use the same (Blanchon Hardwax Oil) as I've used on the floors?
That was my original idea but wasn't sure if it would be hard wearing or stain resistant enough.
Cheers B

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back