Best finish for reclaimed iroko worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we're having our kitchen redone and the worktop will be made from reclaimed school iroko lab tops. They are covered in graffiti (& chewing gum!) and we want to keep the way they look so don't want to over clean them or sand them. My understanding is that oil is the best finish for wooden worktops but can we apply oil to these without sanding first? Would the oil rub off the graffiti that we want to keep? If we need to use varnish, which would be the best one to give it a natural finish & avoid chipping / cracking?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Also, any tips for getting rid of the chewing gum? I've tried vinegar & peanut butter but neither worked. Is there a chemical solution that does the trick? Most of the gum is stuck to the underside so doesn't matter if it leaves a mark.

My understanding is that oil is the best finish for wooden worktops but can we apply oil to these without sanding first? Would the oil rub off the graffiti that we want to keep? If we need to use varnish, which would be the best one to give it a natural finish & avoid chipping / cracking?
I'd say forget varnish - Iroko contains natural oils which may well cause the varnish to peel over time. Oil is probably a more sympathetic finish

Also, any tips for getting rid of the chewing gum? I've tried vinegar & peanut butter but neither worked. Is there a chemical solution that does the trick? Most of the gum is stuck to the underside so doesn't matter if it leaves a mark.

Bag of frozen peas over the affected lump for 5 to 10 minutes, sharp 1-1/2in or 2in chisel placed bevel down to the wood, hit with mallet. Works quite a bit of the time but you may need to resharpen your chisel from time to time

Top oil [osmo] and ice for the chewing gum to cool it , or plumbers freezing spray will work in seconds then just knock off.

Sponsored Links
i would be a bit concerened about any chemical residue within the wood :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back