Finlock Gutters reline or remove?

Sponsored Links
dont have that kind of money at the min, but will think about for the future.

thanks for the info

nice job timmy!

i've never had the pleasure of seeing never mind working on finlock gutters, i doubt the finlock virus never spread this far north.

either that i've lived a sheltered life. :LOL:

Hi yah
In the 1950’s they did a lot of self build houses plus after the war apparently there was a lot of shortages in steel.
Most towns have and cities have these type of gutters and they are horrible to say the least. A normal replacement guttering job will take us a day front and back and cost wise about £900 to £1,200 this is replacement fascia boards!!! For us to replace a concrete gutter making sure we don’t damage the lintels and internal plaster it will take three to four days and will cost £2,600 to £3,000.
A lot of work but a lot of heartache.
Common problems are DAMP to the inside walls. Damp on the outside walls. Sagging of concrete blocks above windows. (Holding water) black mould to the inside preventing decorating. Plaster falling off due to damp. Plaster cracking due to blocks sagging.
Kind regards Tim

Sponsored Links
I had a problem with my finlock. Damp in the bedrooms and loose plaster. I swept and cleaned the guttering then painted it with FLEXACYL it took about 2 coats. Its a fibreglass based product and sticks to everything it touches so beware. I also pushed the tiles back and run a strip of felt along the full length of the guttering. The next summer I painted it again. Everything seens to be fine and that was about 3 years ago.

I had a problem with my finlock. Damp in the bedrooms and loose plaster. I swept and cleaned the guttering then painted it with FLEXACYL it took about 2 coats. Its a fibreglass based product and sticks to everything it touches so beware. I also pushed the tiles back and run a strip of felt along the full length of the guttering. The next summer I painted it again. Everything seens to be fine and that was about 3 years ago.

I came on here to find a solution to my finlock gutters leaking - I sealed mine like this about 5 years ago and they have started to leak again above the windows, I think it is probably due to movement of the concrete sections of gutter though.Need to find a permanent fix but who to use ?
Who are fasicit - can't find them on the net.

thought I'd give an update - I had a few quotes but the best one by far was from a local guy from Leamington Spa (£1650 all inclusive for front and back of house). I've seen his work and it looked a lot better than other companies I'd seen and he seems a really nice guy and not pushy at all. He's starting on the 23rd June and will take 2 days to complete.I asked about my brothers house in Oxford and he said that he travels for work if needed anyway so he's doing him a quote as well (by phone - all he needs is photos and approx measurements).I'll let you know how it goes.

Came home from work to find that all the work was completed (which looks brilliant) and cleaned up any mess, they even cleaned the windows including the water stains that were from the old gutters ! You wouldn't know from looking at it now that the old concrete gutters were ever there.
I'm well chuffed with it now but need to have a clear out of my junk as the skip has room in it and is going in the morning (Roy,the builder said to fill it up if I like).

Came home from work to find that all the work was completed (which looks brilliant) and cleaned up any mess, they even cleaned the windows including the water stains that were from the old gutters ! You wouldn't know from looking at it now that the old concrete gutters were ever there.
I'm well chuffed with it now but need to have a clear out of my junk as the skip has room in it and is going in the morning (Roy,the builder said to fill it up if I like).

Would you mind posting the details of the guy who did the work? Or PM me.

Thanks

Hi - the guys name is Roy Palmer and his mobile number is *********. Hope this helps, a couple of my neighbours have asked for his number aswell after seeing the improvement in appearance.

Can anybody offer advice on finlock guttering? We have got mould in patches in bedrooms at the top of the the walls apparently caused by the gutters leaking. We have been quoted approx £1800 by Trent Valley Fascias to cut the gutters of flush with walls and fit conventional guttering etc.
As this would would change the syle of the house we prefer the idea of seamless aluminium liners, as long as they are as good as or better than the other option Has anyone experienced or can recommend one method over the other?

Any advice appreciated
hello there iam gallacher - sons roofing and i to have finlock gutters on my home. yes there is stuff out there that can temporary work ally seamless liners dont work at all . and choping them off big no. i have been working on some thing for the finlocks now for about 4 years and i have something that works. and yes it is seamless and i mean seamless and will last a life time. if u want more info plzz email me *********

Hi There,

I have had a few quotes for our Semi, and to be honest am still not convinced about the honesty of some of them.
If this Roy Harper chap is good i would definitely be interested in speaking to him also.

thanks

Hi - the guys name is Roy Palmer and his mobile number is *********. Hope this helps, a couple of my neighbours have asked for his number aswell after seeing the improvement in appearance.

I have never used these forums before, so i apologise if this has duplicated other messages i may (or may not!) have posted.

I was just after the chaps number if possible please?

sorry if i have messed this up!

Hi all,

I am after some advice please. I contacted one of the main firms (rather not mention the firm) in December, and they were set to start on Jan 24th. Spoke to them night before and was told they were running late. would now be 27th. No problem, understandeble after the snow. Now its 15th of Feb and still waiting, had no contact from them. Have left messages for them to contact me. Has anyone else had this problem? I dont mind that they hav'nt started yet, but not being kept up to date is terrible.

Cheers Cymro32

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back