fire door fitting hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm a little uncertain how to keep the intumescent strip continuous when it comes to the hinges (or do you?). It's an FD30 with a 15mm x 4mm deep groove in the frame that starts 15mm from the edge of the frame (so intumescent will end up bang in the middle of the 44mm door width). However looking at most of the 4 inch fire hinges, the leaves of them are all wider than 15mm (unsurprisingly). So my question is what exactly to do with the hinges when fixing to the frame? Do I chisel out for the hinges in the bit of wood nearest the edge, put intumescent packer behind the rest (but then how would the strip fit in? squashed underneath the hinge in place of packer maybe?!!!).

Thanks,

Tom

Sponsored Links
you seem out of your depth with fire doors... but hey ho

Sponsored Links
Intumescent strip between the door and frame expands into the gap between door and frame.

What does the intumescent material under the hinge expand into?

Not out of my depth at all, I just need more info. I've stripped out 7 door frames and built and installed them myself and hung 5 doors (last three I didn't need to trim the width at all, just slotted in). What I need to know is if there's a requirement for the intumescent strip to be continuous around the top and sides of the door, and if so how is it maintained around the hinges (my thought would be hinge packers, but as one of you pointed out what's that expand to fill? Presumably would push the hinge off the wooden frame if it expanded!).

While I'm here might as well check to see if anyone knows the requirements for the handles. My understanding is anything with a melting point over 800 degrees Celsius is ok, so pretty much anything bar aluminium should be alright?

cheers

Tom

Any gaps not fitted with an intumescent seal will be a weak spot however small. Come on ^woody^ it ain't brain surgery.

Not a gap you could slip your knob in I grant you but a gap all the same! More important if the door has the 'S' designation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back