Fire door install and the LABC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a major renovation and parts of this work will require a building notice, kitchen door will have a 30 minute fire door (whether it is necessary or not, we're choosing to have one anyway).

I prefer to install the fire door and frame myself, so effectively it is a DIY install, and will include it on my building notice application for my inspector to check.

Is this an acceptable route? Or do they need certified installers? Any advice is much appreciated.

I have installed many normal doors and whilst I may be slow at it I'm please at my work (and the money saved!).

Sponsored Links
Should be okay mate,
usul stuff just make sure you use long fixings in four places on each frame side, if you stagger them diagonaly it stops the twist

Are these works to a house/flats?

When you mention a Building Notice, I assume you mean a Building Regulation application?

It's only when you come to install external windows/doors that you either need the installer to be approved or a Building Regulation application can be submitted.

I assume you're buying the door and frame as a complete unit as they're tested for fire resistance together and not individually?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying, I only just saw it.

It's a Building Notice which is what my LA uses for small works, the building officer who visited me confirmed that the firedoor can be done DIY, rather than someone from FENSA, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back