1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Grates

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by dibsdiy, 17 Nov 2019.

1. dibsdiy

dibsdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I have to replace the fire basket in my old Edwardian/Victoria fire surround. The present basket, (old - broken) one is flat, with three legs, bowed at the front. Measurements are roughly 13.5" across the front, 10" across the back, 8" deep. I have tried internet, locally and cannot find anything to match. If I had one made it would probably be expensive but can anyone suggest suppliers? Photo attached of surround. Many thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. sircerebus666

sircerebus666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. sircerebus666

sircerebus666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Surround? I meant basket!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. dibsdiy

dibsdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for your replies. I looked at e bay but they have mainly the sort that curve up at the front and because of the 'teeth' on the inside of the grill front part of my surround, a curved top of basket would not fit. I attach photos of the now broken one, I could only find a soup tin of the right height IMG_2175.JPG IMG_2174.JPG to
    IMG_2176.JPG
    raise the broken bits to level it off for the photos!

6. sircerebus666

sircerebus666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Might it be worth your while getting it welded up? With a bit of good welding, it could last for years..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. dibsdiy

dibsdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you both for your replies. The tulip grate from gr8fires looks hopeful. I don't think I had tried them. The basket measurements of my present one are slightly smaller so I will measure the grate opening to see if it will fit. Otherwise, welding may be the answer. Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply.

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links