fire hoods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend is having his conservatory plasterboarded with a false ceiling.He has asked me to install down-lighters in the new ceiling,will i need to install fire hoods above the down-lighters being there is no room above the conservatory

Sponsored Links
No - only if there is a habitable room above, or a means of escape.

No, the ceiling is not acting as a fire barrier, so there is no need to install firehoods to maintain the fire rating of the ceiling. You should however ensure that the light has adequate ventilation, so keep insulation away from it, etc

What's the best way to keep the insulation away from downlights in a loft and what distance should be kept clear around them?

Sponsored Links
Cooch said:
What's the best way to keep the insulation away from downlights in a loft
Not to install downlighters.

Alternatively use CFL or LED lights, which produce little or negligible (respectively) amounts of heat.

and what distance should be kept clear around them
about 15cm each way. Use teracotta pots or home made plasterboard boxes with ventilation.

Does anyone know the regs regarding downlight installations? You have to maintain fire protection i know but what constitutes keeping the protection? Must you buy specially made downlighters to make them compliant?

You can buy downlighters without covers from everywhere but fire protected covered ones are harder to find, so does this mean that all the ones for sale in say B&Q are basically illegal to install?

Anyone know of pre made downlight covers that are up to spec?

Sorry, i've now found all teh related topics on this but still want to know if anyone knows of pre-made covers that would do the job.

I take it that in a house with no other dwellings above it, you can install downlighters without protection and be legal, but not as safe as with said protection.

It's a bit confusing really.

Downlighters WITH fire hoods are more dangerous. Heat builds up around the fitting. They should only be fitted where absolutely nessecary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back