Fire Rated Adjustable Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a small number of adjustable fire-rated downlights available.

I recall hearing somewhere that if a downlight is not fire-rated that some form of fire-rated box is/can be placed over it at the back.

Does such a back box make non-fire-rated downlights effectively as safe as those which are?

Would you install downlights which are not fire-rated (with suitable fire-resistant back box)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Would you install downlights which are not fire-rated (with suitable fire-resistant back box)?
There is a lot of misunderstanding about 'fire rated'. It has nothing to do with the risk of a downlight setting fire to things around it (which has to be addressed in other ways) - rather, it is about having a design which, in the event of a fire in the room below, 'seals' the hole in the ceiling so that the fire does not quickly spread to whatever is above the ceiling. In practice, this means that fire-rated downlights are usually only required when there is a separate dwelling (i.e. under different ownership/occupancy) above the ceiling (e.g. in a block of flats).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Observe MI's for distances to combustible surfaces, allow for ventilation of the lamp, don't insulate over the fittings, clear all the loose cr#p from within the veiling void.
Out of curiosity, are similar procedures followed for other electrical products e.g. mains-powered heat/smoke alarms or gas alarms?

Out of curiosity, are similar procedures followed for other electrical products e.g. mains-powered heat/smoke alarms or gas alarms?
Those sort of things are not going to get hot so, other than under the most unlikely of fault conditions, will not start a fire.

However, if they are recessed into 'holes in the ceiling' then, as with downlights, if there is a different dwelling above the ceiling, then there might be a requirement for them to be 'fire-rated' (to reduce the risk of a fire on one floor spreading to the floor a above). Whether or not you would be able to find fire-rated alarms, I'm not so sure (which is perhaps why they are usually surface mounted, rather than in 'holes in the ceiling'!).

Kind Regards, John

it is about having a design which, in the event of a fire in the room below, 'seals' the hole in the ceiling so that the fire does not quickly spread to whatever is above the ceiling. In practice, this means that fire-rated downlights are usually only required when there is a separate dwelling (i.e. under different ownership/occupancy) above the ceiling (e.g. in a block of flats).

I can see why it's important to have a fire-rated spot to stop fire spreading through to another flat above.

Why, though, is it less important for these fire-rated lamps to be used in a standard house in order to stop fire spreading from the ceiling of the ground floor through to the first floor, or from the first floor ceiling through to the attic?

They are fire-rated, not fire-proof, and neither is the ceiling, let alone the big hole of the staircase.

A short delay is all that is required to match the ceiling.

Perhaps holes in ceilings should not be allowed at all, especially if above is someone else's property.

Just fit Enlite E6 Pro if you're set on installing downlights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back