Fire rated downlight. What bulb can I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - we have ROBUS RF101 12V fire rated downlights (straight).
The blurb for the lamps says "MR16 Max. 50W"

So I don't have to fit Sylvania Coolfits for example? These types of bulbs say "Suitable for Fire-Rated Downlights".

Are there types of MR16 50W which are NOT suitable for my downlights. Very confused.

Sponsored Links
There are two types of lamps. Dichroic and aluminium.
Dichroic lamps are designed to let heat pass through the lamp, aluminium lamps are designed to reflect back as much heat as possible through the front of the lamp.

The maker will be able to tell you which is suitable for your fitting.

did you need fire rated fittings?

Haven't a clue. The lights are fitted in the kitchen ceiling so they're situated between ceiling and floor above.

After a couple of goes the supplier said "No its doesn't have to be cool running." and "Yes any low voltage standard Lamp should work in this fitting."

So I don't think I have a problem.

Sponsored Links
If it's a standard 2 storey home then no, fire rated downlighters wouldn't have been required. It wouldn't have stopped me fitting them but you're not breeching a fire compartment.

A 12v lamp is ELV, not LV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back