Fire Regulations: Protected corridor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a protected corridor, do you need to put 2 layers of fireline plasterboard on both side of the timber wall? Or can you just put 2 layer of fireline plasterboard on the protected corridor side and one layer of normal plasterboard on the other side ?

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about a corridor in a house, fireline is not a requirement. You need to achieve 30mins fire resistance. A 75mm stud with 12.5mm standard wallboards each side will achieve that.

To also comply with part E the void should be infilled with 50mm acoustic mineral wool. (100mm loft roll is also universally accepted)

I don't think replacing mineral quilt with an acoustic mineral will add much. An additional heavy board would be noticeable - either a 12.5mm or 15mm dbcheck board. (the blue stuff) Fixing the board onto resilient bar is also worth considering and only takes up about 10mm of extra space.

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about a corridor in a house, fireline is not a requirement. You need to achieve 30mins fire resistance. A 75mm stud with 12.5mm standard wallboards each side will achieve that.

To also comply with part E the void should be infilled with 50mm acoustic mineral wool. (100mm loft roll is also universally accepted)
Can i have fire line plasterboard on the protected side and standard plasterboard on the other side ?

What is the other side constructed of?
i.e. is the other side also a stud wall? Or is it a brick/block wall?

Can i have fire line plasterboard on the protected side and standard plasterboard on the other side ?
Yes that's fine, min 12.5 standard ordinary plasterboard either side of a 63x38mm stud will get you 30mins. However, that's only for non-loadbearing, so if Mr BCO was a stickler he could pull you up on that if it was a structural wall. That's not to say that a structural wall of that construction would not necessarily achieve 30mins but AFAIK that's never been tested.

AFAIK the only fire test that exists in the public domain for an internal load bearing stud wall is 89mm studs + a layer of 15mm wallboard each side.

Last edited:
Yes that's fine, min 12.5 standard ordinary plasterboard either side of a 63x38mm stud will get you 30mins. However, that's only for non-loadbearing, so if Mr BCO was a stickler he could pull you up on that if it was a structural wall. That's not to say that a structural wall of that construction would not necessarily achieve 30mins but AFAIK that's never been tested.

AFAIK the only fire test that exists in the public domain for an internal load bearing stud wall is 89mm studs + a layer of 15mm wallboard each side.
Is just 1or 2 layers either side?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back