Fire retardant roof in integral garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Part of finishing my project house is I need to fit a fire retardant ceiling to the integral garage. I have bought plenty of insulation and the correct fire retardant plaster board and am going to get it over plastered to meet the fire Regs but wanted to ask what may appear to be a silly question to the knowledgeable.
In the garage are 2 waste pipes for the upstairs loos and a 40 mm one for the bath waste running own the wall having come through the soon to be fitted ceiling. Do I need to cover them in some way to make then fire retardant ? My thinking is if the regs are quite tight on the ceiling being sealed then surely a fire would soon melt the pipes and allow flames to advance upstairs or am I being really stupid here ? !

Sponsored Links
the block of flats I used to live in had 4 garages, and the outer one on each end of the building had exposed waste pipes going up through the GRG board

while i don't guarantee that seeing one installation that had exposed pipes implies it's acceptable, I don't see the harm in giving your local council BI department a call and asking them - it's a simple question after all, shouldnt take more than a few seconds to answer :)

(Assuming the wastes are uPVC), the small 40mm pipe can come straight through without protection as long as the hole is sealed.
The larger wastes (presume 100-110?) need to be encased to 1/2 hr f.r.

TBH the wording of the regs is open to interpretation on this point, but inspectors generally instruct you to use the most onerous method just to cover themselves. So FWIW make a small framework and cover with Fireline.

Sponsored Links
(Assuming the wastes are uPVC), the small 40mm pipe can come straight through without protection as long as the hole is sealed.
The larger wastes (presume 100-110?) need to be encased to 1/2 hr f.r.

TBH the wording of the regs is open to interpretation on this point, but inspectors generally instruct you to use the most onerous method just to cover themselves. So FWIW make a small framework and cover with Fireline.

Hi Tony. Sorry I should have given the size of the large waste pipes but you were correct in assuming they are 110mm.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back