Fire shield removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a building contractor doing refurbishment and installing a false ceiling in a flat. For some reason (I am guessing to make room) they ripped off the shielding indicated by the arrow. Can anyone explain what that shield is for and is it needed? It was stuck in place with silicone, and not even screwed on. The large plastic pipe leads to a separate flat above. Previously, both the pipe and the shield were enclosed by a plasterboard box all the way to the concrete ceiling.

shield.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You've answered your own question :)
It's an intumescent pipe collar.
It should be properly attached and it should be reinstated, for obvious reasons!

I was guessing from the marking on the collar. I am not convinced the builder is going to put a new one back. Would they be breaking the regulations?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Endangering the block and other occupants is used in prosecutions - which should be against you as the owner/occupier.

The HSE will go after the highest available duty holder. That could be you (as a leaseholder)

The HSE will go after the highest available duty holder. That could be you (as a leaseholder)
That seems to suggest the builders needn't do a good job, or even do a job at all since they can't be faulted.

I am unable to see how the original collar could have worked even if properly screwed in with small screws. The collar expansion in a fire would have ripped the collar off the ceiling and then fallen off.

The collar themselves looks like BS as well. Since the property owner gets the blame, the collar makers needn't do their job either.

I was wrong about the silicone. It only looked like silicone, but it must be some kind of fire resistant adhesive.

Lovely electrical work there (that bit of t & e carefully draped round the extract then up a bit of tube).
And yes it is boring that you as leaseholder or owner become liable for bodges done by tradespersons in your property but that's how it works.
Whoever originally fitted that collar presumably cut the other 2 lugs off- which will void the things' approval as a means of preventing fire spread.
Building control might approve its reuse if the wall sides were supported with steel brackets (20mm box?) properly fixed to the wall as well as those 2 lugs properly fixed as per suppliers instructions (which probably mention big screws and structural timber). Or they might not...up to you to ensure the compartmentalisation is done properly.

And yes it is boring that you as leaseholder or owner become liable for bodges done by tradespersons in your property but that's how it works.
If the property was sold, I suspect you will say the new owner is not liable? The liability will stick to me like a bad rash.

Everything you see was the work of the original construction company.

Yeah, liability is a sod. Here's how it works;
That collar was hidden in some boxing as part of the original build. There's a fire in your place, it spreads upstairs cos collar failed. Investigation proves the structure is original, however builder has phoenixed or gone out of business or whatever, you are a much easier target. But you had no way of knowing what state the thing was in so your insurer ends up paying the bill, if they can find the builder they can chase them but they probably won't bother.

Option 2 where you are now. You are now aware that there is a fault with the fire separation. If you rectify that fault and get the work signed off by building control (and you get nice certificate) that's your liability shield- if anything goes awry in the future that document proves you have made a reasonable effort to comply with building regs.
If you rectify the fault and evidence it with detailed pics that'll be better than nothing but not as good as having approval from the body responsible for controlling these things.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back