Fire surround not flush to the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

We have bought a couple of fire surrounds and it seems that the inner legs don't fully reach the wall despite all the other parts of the surround being flush to the wall (attached pictures). Anyone know why this is or how to make this look half decent? I don't even know where to start. Thanks very much

Attachments

• PXL_20211208_191708824.jpg
    PXL_20211208_191708824.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 314
  • PXL_20211208_191718193.jpg
    PXL_20211208_191718193.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 308
Sponsored Links
It seems your wall could be out, by quite a bit, but have you tried pushing it in further on the inner side?

It's not the wall it seems the outer legs of the fire surround are 20cm and the inner side of the legs are 17cm. I've seen this with other surrounds before and don't really know how to neaten the gaps.

Also where the brickwork meets with the plaster it looks quite messy, anyone any ideas how to make that look a bit neater?

Sponsored Links
Isn't the outside part meant to be sunk into the plaster so that those tabs screw to the brick rather than being screwed to the face of the plaster?

Or is it designed to have a 30mm thick marble insert surrounding the fire?

That's exactly it, a marble insert went in there originally. It's how to fill that space and also blend in with the brickwork

Last edited:
What are your final plans for this fireplace and surround? Do you intend to install some kind of appliance?

As things stand you should get a heads-up from a HETAS. And the dimensions needed for installing your fire from the Mfr's - email them with the details and pics off this thread.

OK, so does anyone know how would be best to close those gaps and neaten up where the plaster meets the brickwork?

I wont go on after this post but what you have, and are apparently trying to immediately achieve,
is a safety issue.

The business of Anchoring your surround tightly to the wall, and concealing the fixing lugs is a simple matter.
Where the plaster meets the brickwork is irrelevant until you have more information.

OK.. the fire is probably long down the line and not guaranteed, if that's a hurdle lets remove that. If someone has any ideas on how neaten the inside and neaten where the brick meets the plaster, would be much appreciated

Hi Everyone,

We have bought a couple of fire surrounds and it seems that the inner legs don't fully reach the wall despite all the other parts of the surround being flush to the wall (attached pictures). Anyone know why this is or how to make this look half decent? I don't even know where to start. Thanks very much

The surrounds are usually installed, by cutting the plaster out so the surround can be fixed flat back directly onto bare brick, then the plaster made good around it also covering the fixing brackets.

That's really helpful, I didn't know that. Once they are in they become a permanent feature then? Hmm in that case do you have any advice to making do with what we've got? :-/. Thanks again

That's really helpful, I didn't know that. Once they are in they become a permanent feature then? Hmm in that case do you have any advice to making do with what we've got? :-/. Thanks again

Yes, chop in back to the wall, as they are designed to be installed and make good the plaster around the edge. It will look a proper job then, rather than something just leant against the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back