Wardrobe made from Fireplace Surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

Last summer I spent a long time making a wardrobe pretty much from scratch. I have a lot of clothes and my current, shop-bought storage was way too small. If you can't buy it, make it!

The main structure of my DIY wardrobe is a 19th century fireplace surround I bought on eBay. It was rather the adventure!

Wardrobe38_zpsf514c529.jpg

I plan to fix doors over the wall bed MDF box this summer. There are way too many pictures to post of the progress but you can see it all on my blog:

http://secondhandstillgrand.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/the-extreme-bedroom-makeover-part-3.html

Would love to know what everyone thinks of it :)

Rachel

Sponsored Links
heeellloo and welcome Secondhandstillgrand :D :D :D

good job well done certainly original
suspect a few marmite comments :D

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! :D Haha yep, I don't expect it'll be to everyone's tastes. I'll post another photo once I've fitted the mirrored doors in the next couple of weeks, hoping that'll be the finishing touch really.

maybe if you say pick out the top off the moldings in gold/copper/black rubbed effect to stop the contents drawing your eyes away and helping it blend into the background :D

Sponsored Links
Yes, I'd go for that - it would help highlight them.

my suggestion would be do it gradually perhaps gold on the triangles and top center top arch moulding
and then perhaps the flutes on the legs
and maybe a contrasting colour with say black on the arch

Thanks freddymercurystwin, glad you like it! Sounds like a cool idea big-all, I could kind of imagine it as a really elaborate home cinema surround looking like that *sigh* if only!

Well done, a fantastic use for an old surround, I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Personally I wouldn't like to have painted it and really showed the wood off but that's just me, I hate to see wood covered. Of course, I understand it would have really darkened down the room if you had not have done.
Just a thought, maybe some lights underneath the arch, just hidden at the back would really look good, and let you see your clothes a lot better? Those under cupboard kits for kitchen units can be quite useful in other uses.
I look forward to seeing what happens next!

Thanks so much, I'm really glad you like it!

I agree with you, in fact the hardest thing was deciding whether to paint it or not as the grain of the wood was so nice. The decider was the fact that the pigeon holes were made from ugly MDF, and it wouldn't look right if only they were painted.

Using lighting is a great idea! The arch is quite theatrical in design, so I can really imagine that. I'm hoping that by the end of July when I have the time the doors will be on and I'll be able to thing about the finishing touches :) I'll be sure to link an update here as soon as I've done it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back