Firebird boiler - Problem firing

yop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys
My Dads boiler is playing up, its a Firebird Riello 40 Series.

It has been turned off for last 4 months as its my Grans old house. Dad would be very handy, fixing our washing machine, tumble dryer etc so he has done a lot of checking out.

Full tank of fuel.
Oil is getting to the pump and he has bleed the pump at the both pump and side, oil is getting through at both points.

He has taken off the pump and cleaned it and the same with the motor.

He has tried another controller box off a working boiler.

What does happen is that the burner starts, buzzs and the motor gets very hot but never cuts in.

The Dad is thinking that its either the pump or the motor but we don't want to buy either before we got an idea of what it might be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the motor turn? If not, does the motor turn if you remove the pump? If it doesn't the capacitor is probably duff.

Thanks Oilman,

Not a bean out of the motor at all, just gets hot. He took the motor off totally and wired it up separate from boiler and pump and not a noise out of it.

The capacitor was something that came to mind alright. We thought it was the motor ourselves but we could start with the capacitor as I am sure its not as expensive as the motor.

could be drive dog simple to diagnose. take pump off,start up. if shaft rotates with resistance could be ok.common lock out prob would be pump solenoid. easy to check with multimeter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Oilman,

Not a bean out of the motor at all, just gets hot. He took the motor off totally and wired it up separate from boiler and pump and not a noise out of it.

The capacitor was something that came to mind alright. We thought it was the motor ourselves but we could start with the capacitor as I am sure its not as expensive as the motor.

Hold the motor in a workmate etc. and try spinning the shaft. If it runs it's the capacitor.

could be drive dog simple to diagnose. take pump off,start up. if shaft rotates with resistance could be ok.common lock out prob would be pump solenoid. easy to check with multimeter.

As per the post below yours there is it try to rotate the shaft?

Don't have a multi meter myself so its out of my hands then! Might be able to get one though to test it.

IS the solenoid separate to the capacitor?

Thanks Oilman,

Hold the motor in a workmate etc. and try spinning the shaft. If it runs it's the capacitor.

I will get him to do that tomorrow.

Thanks

Sounds like capacitor to me, that buzzing sound is because the capacitor is duff. Remove oil pump and turn the shaft to see is it rotating freely and also check that the motor is spinning freely while pump is off if they are spinning freely capacitor is duff. 95% sure its capacitor :D

Sounds like capacitor to me, that buzzing sound is because the capacitor is duff. Remove oil pump and turn the shaft to see is it rotating freely and also check that the motor is spinning freely while pump is off if they are spinning freely capacitor is duff. 95% sure its capacitor :D

Well it sure is the capacitor anyway, he went to the neighbours and took their capacitor, put it on our motor and off it went.
Now he has the motor off the boiler so not sure if the boiler itself works 100% but the motor turns now with the new capacitor on it.

Wonder where a man would expect to get a capacitor, would I have to order it online?

Thanks

4uf capacitor is what your looking for, your local plumbing merchants should have them in stock but they can be got online.

• Thanks
Reactions: yop
Having trouble with home heating using firebird boiler.
Watre was turned off in the area and no notice given so oild was turned on during this time.
The boiler is only 3 years old and get serviced annually so didnt expect nay problems this early. Anyway some onformation that may help

Full tank of oil
Bled boiler for oil - gauge at front and side of boiler with allen key, both released carasene

Check for Airlock - hose runs form tap at side (inside) of boiler and water runs out no problem.water is clear.
After boiler is on when do the same water is piping hot coming out.

Boiler kicks in and runs for 10 minutes or so.

Thermostat in boiler not changed, no figures on dial but 7 marks on thermostat gauge and set on 4.

Thers a button on thermostta and reset this also.

Also hit teh reste button twice after bleeding oil.
Nows here the problem inside.

Radiators (all) remain cold. Bled all rads and all have water in them (Clean).

Pressure gauge in upstairs hot press 1.5 - 2

Also heat from chimney on boiler not very warm when the burners on, not as warm as before.

Pipes at rear of boiler (opposte side to feer, reste button etc.) are all hot going into the house

Any help appreciated

Ash.... if your having to "trip" the overheat thermostat I'd be inclined to look at the circulation pump.... if the boiler is running for 10 mins then shutting off...& your hitting the "overheat thermostat"...then it's water problems.....
If your hitting the red lock out on the burner then (being a firebird) I'd be saying that it's sooty inside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back