Fireplace Flue Flush With Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have just pulled out our fireplace to reveal the flue. We are looking to have it covered (with a vent near the bottom) with plasterboard and the whole room plastered. Currently the actual flue does not sit flush with the wall.

Is this something that could be solved by a simple bit of elbow grease, hammer and chisel or is there a risk of damaging the internals of the chimney?

See image for a better view of how it looks currently. Thanks very much for any response.

LGMrDk9.jpg

Sponsored Links
What you can see inside the opening is a fireback. Knock it out with a hammer (and cold chisel if you have one) and knock down the projecting bricks above the opening and the bit of fireback supporting them.

When the fire opening is cleared out post a photo of the flue - will it be sooted up, will there be any metal damper or hood up the flue?
Is the stack terminal vented?

Carefully prise up and remove the black hearth piece - it might be reused somewhere else?
Its possible that there is a concrete hearth below the black piece - your call as to what to do with it?
If its there and you want it out then come back here.

When work on the flue is complete I would brick or block the opening, and insert the vent after plastering over - masonry is a more substantial job than a bit of plaster board, & you can plaster flush with the plane of the wall. P/b might stick out.

Thanks for the info. Got chance to carry on this weekend. Came out a treat. Clean up job took longer :)

We are having wood flooring down so the fitters said they will sort any uneven floor.

Gonna look for a local bricklayer to brick up the hole if that seems to be the better solution. Thanks for your help and here's a photo of the aftermath for anyone else looking in the future

Attachments

• IMG_20160702_144519.jpg
    IMG_20160702_144519.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
Is that a gas pipe snaking across the hearth ? You need a Gas Safe fitter to remove and seal that ASAP ! Then brick it up yourself.

Is that a gas pipe snaking across the hearth ? You need a Gas Safe fitter to remove and seal that ASAP ! Then brick it up yourself.

The gas is terminated for this pipe. The previous owners had an electric fire fitted (the one I just took out)

What your photo shows is blockwork & loose vermiculite insulation from behind the fire back - these can also be removed.

FWIW: I asked you some questions above - they are important.

All soot in the fireplace opening should be removed, and the chimney flue swept.

What your photo shows is blockwork & loose vermiculite insulation from behind the fire back - these can also be removed.

FWIW: I asked you some questions above - they are important.

All soot in the fireplace opening should be removed, and the chimney flue swept.

There appears to be very little soot (probably due to the previous owners having an electric fire).

There doesn't look like there is any metal dampener in place.

The chimney stack is vented.

Is there any other reason to remove the blockwork and vermiculite apart from a tidy job, I'll probably find time to do it tomorrow anyway but just interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back