Fireplace lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do I need for a 1200mm opening (150mm bearings) to take a solider course? Should I just use a catnic type single wall lintel or can I just use a steel L angle? If so what thickness is usual? Its taking the brickwork up the chimney breast to first floor level.

Sponsored Links
What sort of finish are you after, and how good are your brickwork skills. A straight soldier course isn't very common on a fireplace opening, but if you wanted one, then you'd need to use a angle catnic lintel. But you could construct an arch, and that would remove the need for a lintel. Are the bricks going to be visible afterwards.

What sort of finish are you after, and how good are your brickwork skills. A straight soldier course isn't very common on a fireplace opening, but if you wanted one, then you'd need to use a angle catnic lintel. But you could construct an arch, and that would remove the need for a lintel. Are the bricks going to be visible afterwards.

I think stretchers rather than soldiers would be better. I did think about an arch but the design of the fireplace is quite angular so a curve wouldn't look right. The bricks will be visible afterwards.

Sponsored Links
It's always down to personal preference, but as ever, post a picture. Obviously the angle catnic will let you do soldier or stretcher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back